Autopilot - Feature or just plain frustrating :D

02 Sep 2022 14:28 #4713 von Mickolodias
Autopilot - Feature or just plain frustrating :D wurde erstellt von Mickolodias
I like to post these feature or bug posts and the answer is always feature. But here's another - please forgive me, I'm not a real pilot, just a want to be :)

I've read that for the 135 the autopilot should be on, from take off to landing.
But I find with autopilot on I need to push the cyclic quite hard left/right to turn (I'm talking slow natural turns, not fighter pilot stuff!) but more so and I need to fight the pitch, pushing the cyclic hard forwward to maintain forward momentum (especially as I increase the collective).
With Auto piliot off, (SAS/PR still on) I find the flight experience fantastic (realistic - I have no idea, but it feels very natural).

Is the AP a bit off? or am I 'flying' wrong?

Cheers,
Mick

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

03 Sep 2022 18:44 #4717 von rotorsim
Please understand the purpose of the autopilot (in basic mode): its job is to maintain the attitude. When you move the stick, you steer against the AP (or the AP against you).

With the stick you only do a temporary overwrite. But the reference remains.

If you change the power setting, this usually also requires a correction of the flight attitude. For small changes in the reference, use the beep trim. Bigger changes are made with FTR: Press the button, fly hands-on to the desired flight attitude, release the button and then immediately let the stick go back to its neutral position. It works fine. 

I personally prefer to fly hands-on. There's no reason to use the AP if you don't like it.

04 Sep 2022 12:36 - 04 Sep 2022 12:37 #4718 von Mickolodias
Thanks Rotorsim. 
ahhh I see! FYI I typed my original post from memory, I just did a proper test...
I take off with AP on and pitch forward to increase speed. Without touching the collective, it gets to a point where I need to pull BACK hard on the cyclic to prevent diving foward.
From your post, it's diving to maintain altitude. which works perfectly :)

So - in real life 'normal' operations AP is 100% optional?

06 Sep 2022 11:28 #4719 von rotorsim

[...]
I take off with AP on and pitch forward to increase speed. Without touching the collective, it gets to a point where I need to pull BACK hard on the cyclic to prevent diving foward.

What you describe is the transition from follow-up mode to normal AP operation.

As in reality, the flight attitude below 30 KIAS follows the movements of the stick. This makes the helicopter in hover almost as controllable as without AP, only with much more stability.

If the threshold of 30 KIAS is now exceeded with nose down for acceleration, the AP locks into this target flight attitude. Override as described above.

From your post, it's diving to maintain altitude. which works perfectly :)

Attitude, not altitude! This difference is important.

So - in real life 'normal' operations AP is 100% optional?

I know several pilots who almost never use the AP. Many helos are not even equipped with it.

06 Sep 2022 12:45 #4720 von Mickolodias
I'm glad I'm not 'supposed' to have AP on for general flying. For longer trips it's makes total sense and I've sucessfully done this many times using the AP modes.

Actually I meant altitude. I thought you meant the AP is trying hold alt.... which doesn'nt make sense unless I tell it to!
Attiude makes more sense - I'll test this out next time I'm set up for flight sim session to improve my understanding.

Thanks heaps for replies!!

Moderatoren: Hilli
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.171 Sekunden

Die Partner von rotorsim

microHelis

Herausragende Steuerelemente für die die EC 135. Pedalse, Collective und ein originalgetreuer Stick, auf Wunsch sogar motorisch gesteuert. Diese Controls sind ein Muss für alle, die EC 135 im Simulator fliegen. 

simparts.de

Die Hardware fürs Homecockpit. Die Instrumente von simparts sind von außergewöhnlicher Qualität. Das komplette Programm für ein EC135-Cockpit ist verfügbar. Und alles quasi Plug & Play mit unserer EC 135 Pro. 

DLR

Das Deutsche Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt ist eine renommierte Forschungseinrichtung. In einem Simulator des Instituts für Flugführung wird unser Flugmodell eingesetzt. DLR-Piloten haben die Entwicklung unterstützt. 

sim-aviation.com

Das ultimative Flugerlebnis in einem EC 135 Full Flight Simulator. Voll instrumentiert, Motion-Plattform, sensationelle Projektion. In Attikon in der Schweiz kommen Anfänger ebenso auf ihre Kosten wie Flugschüler und Profis. 

Heli Simu France

Gemeinsam mit der französischen Entwicklergruppe HSF bringen wir die EC 135 für X-Plane in eine neue Dimension. Ein hochdetailliertes 3D Modell von HSF wird kombiniert mit unserer einzigartigen Systemtiefe.  

HR SimYard

Die österreichischen Entwickler bauen hochklassige Freeware-Addons für FSX und PrePar3D. Dank unserer Partnerschaft profitieren wir gegenseitig voneinander durch den Austausch von 3D-Modellen für die EC 135.